Search This Blog

Thursday, November 3, 2011

Not So Lost

Not So Lost


By Keith Kareem Williams

I suppose this blog post could actually be considered a prologue or maybe even a prequel to a new book that I'm working on. For now, the title is "In My Garden Lost" but that might change by the time I'm done. As of right now, it's the best one I've come up with. I'm experimenting with using the first person narrative so this is kind of a big deal. I guess it's fitting because this is going to be the most personal book I've written so far. "Sometimes Brooklyn, Mostly Mars" was my first attempt to show people some of the things that really go on in my mind, aside from the regular flow of fiction that I write. Someone I've grown to care for dearly has been pushing me to write this so, here I am pouring out old memories on paper.

Every relationship, situation or entanglement is like a new life. Believe me when I say that I've lived some beautiful ones along with the ones that eventually turned ugly. Each one is unique and different. I never get involved with the same type of woman twice if I can help it. I've always been asked what I like but I can honestly say that I don't have a particular type. You see, I understand that I'll always be the same ME technically so that's my only safeguard that I won't make the same mistakes twice.

As far as this book goes, I'm not writing it for the scandal value. I'm sure some people will assume that that is what it will be. It's definitely not. I'm really writing it to keep certain promises I made. I've never promised any woman walking this earth that I'd stay forever. Mercifully, I've always been wise enough to know that such promises are impossible to keep sometimes. I can only promise that I will keep certain women dearly in my memories and this book is the physical proof. I've always said that words are wind and actions create the only reality that matters. I've always tried my best to look deep into every woman that I've ever known. It's just that I wasn't always ok with what I saw looking back at me.

Like I said in the very beginning, when I first started writing this blog, "I promise to give you me….the real me…at all times….whether you agree with me or not."

The first line of "In My Garden Lost" reads like this: "It had already started to get cold and all of the leaves had already fallen from the trees when I met a dancer once."

….and so it begins.

2 comments: