Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 28, 2018

Writer Wednesday with Diana Rose

Good afternoon folks. I'm proud to feature one of my author friends this week, the talented Diana Rose! Enjoy her interview, get to know her and support her new book!


Author Diana Rose

Author Diana Rose
Q. When did you first realize that you wanted to be a writer?
Honestly, it was a suggestion....let me explain. When I was twelve years old, I met a woman who used to be a doctor in Russia. Her name was Irina Danilchenko. One day, we were talking and she said, "You have so many ideas in your head. Why don't you try writing them down so you don't forget them?"
That struck me as brilliant at the time so at twelve years old with a limited vocabulary in English, yes, I am a Russian native, I started writing in short paragraphs at first. As I continued to do that, I realized that I liked writing. But it was when I read my first Danielle Steel book, “Journey,” that I realized I wanted to write, become an author and build a career.

Q. Does writing energize or exhaust you?
Writing energizes me. I can write and feel fulfilled. This is what I dreamed to do since I was a teen. But what exhausts me is promoting. I like it but doing it every day and not having time to do what I love-writing- is hard and exhausting. 

Q. Do you think someone could be a writer if they don’t feel emotions strongly?
I believe all people have emotions and it doesn't have to be emotions, it can be a belief, a thought, an idea you want to express and argue. Yes, I believe anyone can write, you just need to find what feels right to you. Some people can write short stories but not novels. Others can write novels but not short stories. Another thing I know...write what you know. If you feel something is wrong, write about it. It doesn't have to be a strong feeling, just a feeling is fine too.

Q. If you could tell your younger writing self anything, what would it be?
Oh, I might have a lot to say, knowing what I know now. But, most importantly I would say, "Never stop believing in your writing.  Keep writing because one day all those words will bring you to something great.  Dream big and never give up on yourself. " I would have never have dreamed that my writing could take me as far as it did when I was starting out with an idea in my head, two names, Princess Amy and Prince Darien and two places: The Moon Kingdom and Earth Kingdom. 
No, sir, I couldn't have dreamed that those unconnected things would turn into a book and my book would turn into a series. Back then, I thought I was just writing for myself. But now....everything I dreamed came true.

Q. What was an early experience where you learned that language had power?
An early experience with language would have to be when I was reading Danielle Steel's book Sisters, in the book she wrote about a car accident that left a girl blind but that did not stop her from doing what she wanted, to travel to Paris. Another experience was with Nicholas Sparks' The Notebook, though I only watched the movie, it still shocked me to my core to see the kind of love in a movie.

Q. How many hours a day do you write?
I usually write as much as I can unless I'm upset and then I can write longer hours into the night. Usually, I write two three hours or four hours. But when I am not upset, I try to write at least a few hours a day and if inspiration hits hard, more than a few hours. 

Q. What’s the most difficult thing about writing characters from the opposite sex?
Ah, the dreaded male point of view!!! I'm a woman, I have no idea what men think. In my first book, Book 1: Forbidden Love, I had a little hard time getting into Prince Darien's mind at some moments because men are typically all about action and no emotions (apologies to the men who read this). Also finding good motives for the male characters is harder because I had to really think on what kind of motivation would make a man have to do what he is going to do.

Q. How do you select the names of your characters?
Names are generally hard for me since I'm writing fantasy romance.  A good name would have to be something memorable that people can remember after the book is done. Now, choosing my royal family names, it had to fit with the tile of King, Queen, Prince and Princess plus it had to sound good. I mean King Jack, does not sound royal to you, does it? Now, King Gabriel sounds royal.
The royal family names are the most important. Then, I choose the secondary names, the "subjects" the regular people. Though these can be anything, they still need to be easy to remember. 

Q. Do you read your book reviews? How do you deal with bad or good ones?
So far, I only got one review for Book 1: Forbidden Love. It got five stars. Good reviews make me happy, it finally feels like I did something good.
I'm sure I will learn to deal with bad reviews too. But I know one thing, no amount of bad reviews will ever make me want to give up. Being an author is what I love and giving up writing is like not being able to breathe. Of course, this is my first book, I plan to write and develop my skills so bad reviews would happen less if they do happen at all.

Q. What was your hardest scene to write?
I would have to say, the scenes with Pond Water Prince in Book 1: Forbidden Love...where he is talking to Princess Amy and also when Prince Darien fights him. I'm not great with writing bad guys so I hope I don't disappoint my readers with Pond Water Prince's character.  

Q. How long on average does it take you to write a book?
Book 1: Forbidden Love took me from when I was twelve to twenty three years old or a little more since I was new to it and I had to rewrite a lot. My original file with all my ideas still exists. Book 2 took me 3-4 years because of the emotions tied into it. But I try to write faster now.

Q. Do you believe in writer’s block?
Yes, yes. I have writer's block from time to time now. In fact you caught me right in the middle of my writer's block period. I do hope I get back to writing soon. In fact, this interview is the most I have written in weeks. Sad but true.

Q. What is the most difficult part of your artistic process?
The most difficult part is always getting through edits but I am grateful to both my editors, Susan Ednie, Professor of Psychology at Kingsborough Community College and Alyssa Nand​​ who pushed me to be a better author. These women are my heroes for having to deal with my writing.  Yes, Ms. Ednie saw the truly bad first draft but she encouraged me to write and do better and she is now proudly owning her copy of the book that has been her baby to edit since I met her in 2005.

Q. Does your family support your career as a writer?
Yes, my family does. My grandparents who passed away, my grandma always wanted to see my book but she passed away before it got published. My grandpa wanted me to be successful and now he can be proud even though he passed away two years ago. My mom thought I needed a real job but now she is supportive.

I hope you guys enjoyed the interview. Click the links below to order copies of her latest release!



No comments:

Post a Comment