Search This Blog

Monday, May 23, 2011

Keith Kareem Williams Present’ed →CHAT BOUT®: WRITER’S EDITION Vol.1

There are tons of events for authors to showcase and sell their material. There are also tons of events that aren’t worth their weight in participation fees. The event organizers collect the money from eager, enthusiastic people with dreams but don’t ever seem to really care if anyone even attends the event once they’ve made THEIR money. This is obvious when you realize that the event organizers spend 95% of their time soliciting artists to pay their fees rather than actually trying to get the general public to show up. At most of these events, you end up trading books with other authors. If that’s what we wanted to do, we could all meet in coffee shops to network for free. I peeped game, recognized the hustle and all I have to say is this, “Please pardon my back!” I’m not a fan of scams so I’m off that. I’ve also learned that if something that I’d like to see doesn’t exist I might as well create it myself.

Ever since I made the announcement, I’ve been nervous. It was the first time I’d be hosting my own event so I really didn’t know what to expect. Nerves were getting the best of me until I spoke to my muse. She told me that I shouldn’t be nervous at all. She told me that I should just feel confident and comfortable being the “Boss” that she knows I am. That’s all I needed to hear. (That’s why “she’s” my muse….gotta love her!) The pressure was on to fill the venue but, I felt that I would get it done…even when I had the option to push the date back.

The day of the event, I’m the first one in the building. (As it should be) Still, I was wired, sleep deprived and still anxious to see the seats filled. Panic was always lurking right around the corner until my phone started ringing and folks let me know that they were on their way. At the end of the day, the people who have love and support always show up when you need them. Now that I knew that the crowd would be there, I could breathe easier. There was still the question of whether or not the authors, poets and singer would do their thing.

The lights dimmed and “All the Above” by Maino started to play over the sound system. This is the song I chose for my intro as I stepped to the podium. Once the music stopped, I let the audience understand who I was and why I chose that song. I told them about the everyday grind that has now become mine as I market and promote these novels that I write. (In the blog type “Welcome to the Trap” to read what I explained to audience) When I was done, I left the mic for the next performer. The dap my brother/best friend gave me on my way back to the artist’s table let me know that I had done my thing. From that point on, I was ready to go.

For the rest of the evening, one-by-one, the poets and authors did their thing on stage and wowed the crowd. There were no egos and we all fir together as if we’d known each other forever even though we’d all just met for the 1st time. Were all there to showcase our work. The vibe was amazing and the energy in the room was something I’ll never forget. I feel as if my creative family just got a little bit bigger. I have a lot of love for every one of them who took the stage.

Finally, it was time for me to close out the show. I had the option to read excerpts from any of my 1st two novels but many in attendance had read them both already. They deserved to hear something fresh. I prepared a sample of an erotic short story I’d written recently but it was eight pages long. I knew that the work was quality but the true test of its worth would be if I could keep the audience engaged throughout. Also, I hadn’t read live since I read the first two chapters of “Water Flows Under Doors” (My 1st novel) way back when I was in a college fiction workshop. Still, I remembered the words of my muse as I walked back to the mic with “Run This Town” by Jay-Z banging through the sound system. That’s exactly how I felt at that moment. That’s exactly how I feel right now. As I read the sample from “galerie erotique” (My erotic short story) I could feel that I had total control of the room. I could sense everyone hanging on every word as the story coursed through my voice. I stopped in the perfect place because my intention had been to give them a taste. Even the waiters and the workers for the venue asked me where they can read more because they wanted to see what happens next.

Friday, May 20th 2011 was a good night. It was part of the beginning and part of the process where I grow a little bit more into what I want to become. Years ago, I would have never thought I would have been doing things like this. Now, I expect to be doing even more. Like I said on twitter last week, I set my swag to a million and then I broke the knob off. I plan to push myself to higher heights and beyond what I ever dreamed was possible. If you’re reading this, all I can tell you is to watch me work. It’s far from over and I’m not even close to being done. If you supported my event, thank you and know that I really do have love for you. I want you to know that these things I do are real. I don’t posture or pretend because I really get it in.


P.S. Special thanks to Patrice Crooks (My cousin) She wasted no time when I said I wanted to do this. Without her efforts, it wouldn't have been possible. I said I wanted to do this, she called me so fast to say that she'd secured a venue that my head spun. Also, I owe a great many thanks to Cortney Wright-Thomas for her help, guidance and most of all her patience. I appreciate everything you've done for me to make this event a success.

2 comments:

  1. That is awesome, Keith! I am so happy for you and proud of you. I wish I could have been right there cheering you on. Much love and success, brother. You deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ThaNKS Teresa. This winter I want to hit your side of the country up. If I do, I'd like to put together the same type of event. Thanks for the love, support and encouragement T.

    ReplyDelete