Search This Blog

Monday, July 28, 2014

The Danger of Falling in Love with a Muse


The Danger of Falling in Love with a Muse

By Keith Kareem Williams



There are many ways you can find yourself enthralled by a muse and there is a great risk involved when you find yourself falling in love with your muse. I’ve been there so I know exactly what those risks are. There is a dangerous magic involved that becomes so intoxicating that you stop thinking clearly, which turns into an addiction to the euphoria that it creates. For a dreamer, (like I tend to be) the risk of losing myself in that feeling is dangerous indeed.

A Muse’s inspiration pushes me towards greatness until I can taste it. My random chaotic thoughts start to slow down and make sense enough for me to write them down in ways that are absolutely amazing. In her voice, I hear clarity that speaks to my soul and helps me compose my words into cohesive ideas that sing perfectly like a symphony within me. As an author, how can I NOT fall in love with that feeling? Even intimacy becomes much more than just sex. When I touch the deepest parts of her body, the world around us falls away as if it never existed and nothing else really matters. When we’re finally finished, I can’t sleep. I’ll lay awake in bed and scribble chapter after chapter and she won’t bother me because she understands. She’ll sit in my lap while I type and somehow I’m even more passionate about the words I fill the screen with. That is a rare and beautiful thing for me. I tend to fall in love with that feeling, that experience, that energy and that vibe. Her presence feels like a blessing and brings out the best in me. However, for all of the good things involved with being close to and even in love with a muse, there is a danger too.

When she’s not near me, it affects my creative mood. I don’t have nearly as much energy to create as I normally do when she’s around. In her absence, there seems to be a cloud that hangs overhead and dampens my mood. Then I start to realize that I’ve become too dependent on her presence, usually way too late. But, there is a cure for the missing muse blues. All I did was change the way I think about it. Just as our time on this earth is not forever, neither is the influence of any one particular muse. Since I’ve started this journey, I’ve had a few, even though some were, and still are, more important than others. I’ve learned to use the sadness just as I’ve naturally, instinctively used the joys of the past. I try my best not to fall in love with my muses anymore despite the fact that they constantly try to make sure that I do.  

3 comments:

  1. If I may utter her name... Calliope, the Muse of epic poetry... The very thing that all great literature is born of! She is all encroaching. She engulfs that which inspires. A sunset, the constellations, the ocean. She is derived in the laughter of children. Gilded butterfly wings. She is a voice, a face, a body. She can often be found tormenting a lover. Soft flesh, hard pressed. She is the age of several millennia, however, she is forever young. She too is my Muse. Enjoy!
    ~Katandra Shanel Jackson... CEO at FreedomInk. Check out Carnal Sobriety
    https://www.facebook.com/CarnalSobriety

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is one of the best commentaries so far this year. Thank you Katandra. You rock! ;)

      Delete
    2. Thank you. Glad to be acquainted with your blog. Eyes are watching...

      Delete