Search This Blog

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Building Relationships Around Books' Best Male Author 2014


When I got nominated for "Best Male Author" in Atlanta a few weeks back, I was honored but I didn't expect to win. It's good to know that you SEE me, you read my work & that you recognize what I do. I love y'all & I SEE you too. 

First, I’d like to thank everyone that voted for me. I really do love you guys. Since I released my first novel independently, it has seemed like a constant uphill battle to be seen and heard. It is truly heartbreaking to pour so much of my heart and soul into my work but, to not be able to reach enough readers. I quit my job in 2010, with almost NO savings and took a leap of faith. I had about enough money to print copies of my second... novel, “Open Spaces,” and that was about it. To people on the outside, it seemed as if I had lost my mind and jumped out a window but I believed in my talent. I didn’t have any kind of budget for marketing and when I saw what it cost, I knew I probably wasn’t going to be able to afford it. I became a one-man marketing team and hit these streets with books packed in a black bag, determination, and faith. I’ve gone broke…had to start back from the bottom, only able to buy 10 or 15 books at a time until I built myself back up…had rough Christmas after rough Christmas and birthdays went by when I couldn’t really treat my kids to anything at all. Through it all, they never complained and with each setback, I became more determined. (I bend but I’m from Brooklyn so you know I’ll never break. Lol) I tell you guys these things not to make myself seem like a superhero but to show you the struggle and to express to you how much the recognition and the award means to me. I usually don’t talk about the tough times because, in order for me not to quit, I need to focus on the good things….the beautiful, positive things that come with sharing my words and thoughts with others. Since I started this journey, I’ve been doing almost everything on my own. I’m not a part of any cliques. I LOVE my independence. There are readers that have become my team, my friends, my confidants and my biggest supporters because they believe in me. I just want to say that I love you all. Real talk. Since I’ve started this thing that I do, this is one of my proudest moments. Thank you. You all inspire me to be great! (Sorry if it sounds like I'm rambling. I kinda was because I typed this off the top of my head)



No comments:

Post a Comment