Search This Blog

Thursday, February 5, 2015

Chapter 7 from "War angel II: Where Angels Fear to Tread"

As I continue to work on "War Angel III: Catalina," I've decided to start sharing some chapters from the previous book, "War Angel II: Where Angels Fear to Tread." Enjoy and I hope you're ready for the final book and ALL that happens in its pages.


CHAPTER 7
Smoking & Drinking


W
ith his office door closed, after smoking five Newport 100’s and drinking half a bottle of cognac, Lenox realized that he was happy that he was going to be the daddy of a daughter but was still pissed off about the way he had found out. Leaving his own home had been the only way to avoid choking Olive and to subdue his urge to slap some sense into Jahaira. Because of them, he was drunk and slumped forward on the desk in his cigarette smoke-filled office. He flicked the flame of his lighter off and on, ashamed that he had broken his oath to give up nicotine. For seven months he had kept his promise to Jahaira and himself.
“So much for promises,” he mumbled as he lit another cancer stick and put it between his lips. The taste of it and the alcohol were not a good mix, especially on an empty stomach. He closed his eyes as he struggled with his nausea which is why he didn’t see when Emily slowly opened his office door and stepped inside.
“Hey Boss. What’re you doing here this late on a Saturday?” Emily coughed as her lungs were assaulted by the smoke that swirled around smoothly in the air.
“This is my office and I can be here whenever I damn well please,” he slurred.
“Sure, sure…of course,” Emily answered as she sat down in the chair in front of him, on the opposite side of his desk. “But, Saturday is usually family time for you. That’s why I asked.”
“Family time…ha!” he answered as he poured himself another drink. Once his shot glass was full and overflowed onto the desk, he banged the liquor bottle down on the mahogany which startled her just a little bit because she had never seen him so agitated.
“Got another glass?” she asked.
“Nope. I always drink alone,” he told her as he raised his glass to toast her, then brought it to his lips to take a burning sip.
Emily reached across the desk, grabbed the bottle of cognac and took a swig, straight to the head. She grimaced as it burned her throat and then put the bottle back down. She reached up into the tight bun that her hair was pulled up in, removed the hairpins and let her hair fall down to her shoulders.
“Don’t look at me like that. While you’ve been locked in your office, smoking like a chimney and drinking like a lush, I’ve had a rough day running your business Boss,” she said before she leaned across his desk again, this time to snatch the lit cigarette that was dangling from his lips. She put it to her mouth, took a long pull and inhaled deeply.
“I didn’t know you smoked,” he said, surprised as she pouted and blew smoke across the room at him like an old pro.
 “Smoked is right. Past tense. I used to. I quit. Haven’t had a cigarette since my senior year in High School,” she answered.
“What was that, three or four years ago?” he joked.
“Oh, are you tryin’ to flatter me Boss?” she chuckled. “No, it’s been a bit longer than that honey.”
“So what made you put one to those lips after all this time?” he asked, momentarily captivated by the wet look of her lip gloss.
“Maybe I figured that it’s awful sad for someone to have to smoke and drink alone so I decided to join you,” she answered, crossing her legs. She fixed her tight, short, grey skirt so the split down the side of it wouldn’t expose too much of her thighs. There was a tattoo of an intricate, colorful, vine of flowers that she was too bashful to let him see.
“That’s kind of you. Thanks.”
“You’re welcome. Now…do you want to tell me what’s eating you?” she asked.
“Nothing. I’m fine,” he answered and reached for the liquor with the intention of gulping down the last dregs left.
Before he could, Emily grabbed it and dropped the lit cigarette down the neck of the bottle. It landed in the liquid that was left with a weak hiss.
“Now you’re lying,” she told him.
“I can’t believe you did that,” he growled.
Emily ignored the appalled, angry expression on his face and continued to question him.
“For months, ever since you found out that you were going to be a dad, you’ve been bouncing around here more jolly than Kris Kringle on Christmas eve. All of a sudden I find you in here today, slumped over your desk, drunk and full of smoke. What’s wrong?”
“Nothing,” Lenox slurred as he slid open the top drawer of his desk and took out a small bottle of clear rum like a magician would have pulled a rabbit out of a black hat.
“How’s Jahaira?” Emily asked kindly enough but he picked up om a bit of resentment in her tone and she didn’t quite sound sincere to his ears.
“She’s good,” he answered and chose not to go into details that she probably didn’t want to hear about anyway. Emily’s body language expressed how little she cared about his pregnant fiancée.
“Well, if nothing’s wrong, why are you here getting wasted instead of at home? You shouldn’t leave a pregnant woman in the house all by herself,” she scolded him.
“She’s not home alone,” he told her.
“What?” Emily asked, confused.
“I said, she’s not alone!” he raised his voice and answered.
“I heard you the first time!” she yelled back, annoyed. “So who’s at home with her?” she asked in a more civilized tone.
“A live-in nurse that we hired. I hate her.”
“You hate who? Your girlfriend or the nurse that YOU hired?” Emily asked, surprised.
“Right now? Both! No, I don’t really mean that. I hate Olive. That’s the nurse’s name by the way. Oh, and me and Jahaira are having a baby girl,” he rambled. Emily wasn’t sure what to ask him about next.
“Aren’t you happy that you’re going to have a beautiful baby girl?”
“Of course I am. I just didn’t want to know yet,” he answered.
“Why not?”
“I wanted to be surprised dammit! I told Jahaira that I didn’t want to know early…that I wanted to find out the day the baby was born and this little bitch made her paint the room pink…and now I know…and everything’s all fucked up…and I don’t feel like being home,” he rambled.
“Whoa…you really are drunk aren’t you?”
“I’m not…not yet anyway,” he answered as he unscrewed the cap on the small bottle of overproof rum.
Emily watched him take one, two and then three gulps before she stood up, straightened her shirt and skirt, reached all the way across the desk and took the bottle from him. She snatched the cap too before she sat back down daintily. She took a gulp herself and then screwed the cap back on.
“Is it really that serious?” she asked once the burning sensation in her chest had passed.
Lenox pondered her question and immediately felt like a fool. He wondered if he really was overreacting. Then, when he thought about how Olive was working her tiny little manicured claws into Jahaira, he didn’t feel silly at all. He got angry.
“It’s not even about that really. I’m a little disappointed but it’s not that serious. That’s not what’s pissin’ me off,” he told her.
“So what is it really then?”
“It’s that fuckin’ Olive. It’s like she’s tryin’ to take over my damn house!”
“Boss, why don’t you just fire her ass then?”
“Because Jahaira likes her,” he answered.
“But YOU don’t.”
“I don’t. I wish I could stab her in the neck with a pencil,” he pretended to joke but really meant it. “Ever since she moved in it’s like WE live with HER instead of the other way around. I’m startin’ to not like going home.”
“Does Jahaira know how you feel about this lady?”
“She knows that this little chick annoys me but for the most part, I try to keep the peace. Jahaira really doesn’t have any friends where we live now so it makes her happy to have someone to talk to when I’m not around. She’s been stressed out, bored and lonely for months and that can’t be good for the baby,” he explained.
“That’s true but your feelings are important too. Your woman shouldn’t allow some stranger to come in and make you uncomfortable in your own home. She should put that broad in her place and let her know that she’s just the help.”
“Jahaira’s too nice. She won’t.”
“The few times I’ve met your girlfriend she didn’t seem timid. Judging by the dirty looks she gave me, I figured she was pretty tough,” said Emily.
“When did she give you dirty looks?”
“Most recently?” Emily laughed. “The last time you brought her here I was opening up the office that day. She was sitting in your car and must have thought I couldn’t see her rolling her eyes at me through the tinted window. As a matter of fact, I was wearing this skirt,” she told him and ran her hand across the smooth material.
“I think I remember that day. When I got back in the car, she asked me what happened to the rest of your skirt. She doesn’t have a problem with you though.”
“Uhhmmhmm,” she mumbled sarcastically. “I would understand if she did.”
“And why is that?” he asked.
“Because I wouldn’t trust me around you either. She’s a smart woman who knows what she’s got,” Emily answered, straight-faced and serious.
He stared back at her blankly, fumbling inside his intoxicated mind for the right response that would not get him into any kind of unethical entanglements. He immediately regretted drinking as much as he had because, out of all the time she had worked for him, he had never been seriously tempted until that moment. He blamed all the shots of cognac he had tossed back and the rum for his moment of weakness. He told himself that his eyes lingered on her neckline and plunged down into her cleavage because he was drunk. Otherwise, he would have been a real scumbag, especially with a pregnant fiancée at home waiting for him. He shook his head, looked up and brought his eyes back to her face.
“I don’t know how to take that,” he finally answered.
“No, you don’t,” she smiled. “You should get home to your lady.”
“Yeah, I should.”
“But get yourself together first. Go sit down somewhere, drink some strong coffee and sober up,” she told him as she got up to leave and walked towards his office door.
“Good advice. Thanks.”

“You’re welcome Boss. Thanks for the drinks,” she said as she looked back over her shoulder. “You’re a good man. Things would have gone differently today if you weren’t,” she said before she walked out and closed the door behind her.

Copyright © 2014 Keith Kareem Williams
All rights reserved.



No comments:

Post a Comment