Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Writer Wednesday Featuring Imani Wisdom

Good day folks. Welcome to another installment of "Writer Wednesday." Today, let's get to know another very talented writer. Enjoy the interview and please, follow her links and show her some love.

Writer Wednesday Featuring
Imani Wisdom


1. When did you first realize that you wanted to be a writer?
I’ve been wanting to be a writer since I was eight years old. And it was also that time when I penned my first song lyrics. At that time, I didn’t understand the connection of organizing my work or developing character. I just knew, then, I love the feeling of writing.
2. Does writing energize or exhaust you?
Writing my meditation. It relaxes me, but I also love the energy of the craft. That unpredictability of new storylines keep my passion afloat.
3. Do you think someone could be a writer if they don’t feel emotions strongly?
Depending on how you define “writer”, I believe it’s very hard to separate writing from emotions. Before I published my first book, Zion’s Road, I used writing as a form of healing. Back then, I never had an interest of writing professionally. I just knew the pain had inside needed to come out. So, writing, on different levels will have to come from some sort of emotions.
4. If you could tell your younger writing self anything, what would it be?
Persist and never quit, and find a mentor.
5. What was an early experience where you learned that language had power?
Probably when I discovered I enjoyed writing – at eight years old.
6. How many hours a day do you write?
Before I started to working my night job, I wrote early mornings, four to six hours a day. Now, at least once a week.
7. What’s the most difficult thing about writing characters from the opposite sex?
It’s not difficult at all, except when the character calls for a scene conveying their inner-thoughts and feelings.
8. How do you select the names of your characters?
There’s nothing special on how I choose my characters’ names, they just come based on feeling. However, there are a couple of names in my latest novel, The Journey of Ruthie Belle, that are named after two, lost loved-ones. The names fit the characters perfectly.
9. Do you read your book reviews? How do you deal with bad or good ones?
Shortly after I published Zion’s Road, I used to check for reviews every day – perhaps, twice, or more a day. And now, I wait until I get alerts in my inbox. I’m not saying I don’t care for reviews, but I’ve learned to move on from all reviews. Taking reviews to heart – especially the negative ones – can rattle your confidence.
10. What was your hardest scene to write?
In, The Journey of Ruthie Belle, the first scene was, not only difficult to write, but an emotional one because of the graphic detail of domestic violence. I’ve been asked if I would’ve changed anything in the book, I would rewrite the scene without the violence, and the answer to that is no. Without the opening scene, it wouldn’t have conveyed Ruthie’s truth, and how she survived for 80 years.
11. How long on average does it take you to write a book?
On average, three months. But I have written manuscripts in much shorter time, including Zion’s Road, which was three days.
12. Do you believe in writer’s block?
I do, but there’s a way to overcome writer’s block. First, step away from the computer or your notebook and do something else, anything to keep your mind occupied other than characters and plot-lines. Or, freewrite without stopping. Trust me, once you put the words on paper without backtracking, your creative juices will flow.
I do this all the time and it works.
13. What is the most difficult part of your artistic process?
What’s difficult, now, is not being to able whenever I want. I have to carry a small notebook to work whenever I have ideas.
14. Does your family support your career as a writer?
It used to bother me, and now I focus what matters: My art.


***Booking for Imani Wisdom contact  kisha@divabooksinconline.com***


1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed getting to know this writer, once again. I read the Journey of Ruthie Belle and it was an awesome read. I couldn't stop talking about it and often find myself thinking about Ruthie. Her journey is one that I believe many folks can relate to, at least some parts of it. I applaud you both. Thank you for sharing your craft with us.

    Deedee

    ReplyDelete