Search This Blog

Monday, November 12, 2012

War Angel Preview: Chapter 0 - Smeared Blood


Welcome to the very 1st preview of the novel that I have up next, "War Angel." I hope you enjoy and please leave comments.

Chapter 0 - Smeared Blood

W
ith his chest heaving and filled with the frosty evening air, Lenox frantically opened the car door and got in the back seat. Surprisingly, he still held a firm grip on the gun in his right hand that only a few hours before wouldn’t stop trembling. The clip was still fully-loaded except for the single round it had discharged just a few moments before. After that, it had jammed which forced him to improvise on the fly. In his left hand, he still held onto the kitchen knife he’d only seen for the first time that very night. Every nerve in his body felt raw and exposed, making it difficult for him to decide whether he was more alive than ever or disturbingly closer to death. He strained his eyes to examine the front of his black sweatshirt, wet with blood that wasn’t his own. Of course, in the dark he couldn’t see it but it was there and he was covered in it. After what he had just done, it would have been impossible not to be drenched in it. The sickening metallic scent of the gore clawed up his nostrils and nearly forced what little food sat in his stomach to creep up into his throat. He held his breath until the overwhelming wave of nausea passed. He felt feverish and even the winter chill wasn’t enough to stop the steady stream of perspiration that trickled down the sides of his face. The pressure in his temples pounded in perfect pace with his racing heart as part of a maniacal symphony in his pulse.
“Is it done?” Hector asked from the driver’s seat. He kept one hand on the gear-shifter and the other on the gun hidden in his jacket. Carmen trusted Lenox but he didn’t. The jealousy that still pumped through his veins made him wish that Lenox would give him a reason to kill him.
“Yes,” Lenox murmured.
“Are you sure?” Hector asked again.
“I said it’s done. Now let’s go!” Lenox growled, annoyed by the hint of mocking sarcasm in Hector’s tone. There was something sinister and malicious in the question that served as the harbinger of very unpleasant things to come. There was a long, quiet, moment of tension before Hector grudgingly took his hand off of his gun, gripped the steering wheel and floored the gas pedal. The car skated down the icy, suburban road which was lined with beautifully leafless trees, decorated with snow-covered limbs; a sharp contrast to the bloody, crimson horror that Lenox had left behind in the house he’d just run out of. While Hector drove recklessly to get them out of the area as quickly as he could, Lenox breathed a sigh of relief and laid himself flat across the back seat. He longed for his own bed but for the moment, it would have to suffice. He lay on his back, let the gory knife fall from his hand and closed his eyes, feeling safer being low enough not to be seen. He attempted to wipe away the steady flow of sweat with his black-gloved hands but became disgusted when he realized that he had accidentally smeared blood all over his face. Even though the car swerved erratically down the dangerously slick roads, fish-tailing as hector sped around corners, Lenox drifted off to sleep. What he desperately desired was a respite from the evening’s awful events but instead, his dreams became nightmares that dragged him through all of the events that had led up to the monstrous thing he had just done.


14 comments:

  1. Love it! Why was I holding my breath??? Lol! Can't wait for the rest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phoenix. It gets scarier as I take you deeper. I'll be posting samples all the way up until the book drops in January.

      Delete
  2. Just this little sneak peek it has me wondering what is coming next with Lenox..... I love it already Mr. Willaims...your giving us something a little different this time and that is what I love about your writing....can't wait for this to drop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Diane. I make sure i switch up every time. I like being different with each new book instead of being stuck in the same box. I always want to write quality stories with my own unique style but I also want to show versatility every time out of the gate.

      Delete
    2. You know you have me on the edge of my seat right? You always have the most interesting beginnings that gets you locked in immediately. I love that about your writing. You know how to capture your audience. I am definitely looking forward to the finished product. You've got me Hooked Mr Williams

      Delete
    3. Thanks Mz Phoenix. The beginning wasn't always like this. Someone I used to know told me that the way I had it originally, started off too slow so I changed it chronologically to drop the reader right into the action...and...I'm glad that I have you hooked.

      Delete
  3. Very well done, Keith. Beautiful use of your extensive vocabulary, strong imagery and very high energy, which are the hallmarks of your writing. Perfect amount of description (even for me - lol), and the suspense is immediately established. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susie Q. I'm glad that you enjoyed it. I'm even more excited than I usually am while I work on this book. It's challenging in so many different ways but I'm pushing myself to get it just right. I can't wait until I can share the finished product.

      Delete
  4. This awesome, I love it when will this be out? I told you to stop killing folks lol... But I love it bae. Well written. Can't wait for this to come out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elois and I'm glad that you enjoyed it. Oh, there's going to be some killing before the end....a lot more.

      Delete
  5. Keith,

    "With his chest heaving and filled with the frosty evening air.."

    You've set a scene that absorbs the reader immediately. I felt as if I were in Lenox's peripheral. ...Sigh!... now the wait...

    (I knew the silence was creation in progress!)

    Thanks for the sneak peek!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Ann. How've you been? I've been working hard on finishing this book up. It hasn't been easy because of all the elements I'm incorporating and all of the different genres I'm mixing but, once I'm done, it should be something amazing.

      Delete
  6. You always produce something amazing! Just the way it's been so vividly expressed I do feel like im sitting in the backseat with Lenox (making sure he doesn't touch me with that bloody mess!). Lol....cant wait to read more. And I love the title, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading this khryztyne. I was worried if the title would be interesting enough so I'm really glad that you love it. Now I can relax and keep working on FINALLY FINISHING it.

      Delete