Search This Blog

Friday, October 16, 2015

Forgetful Me

Forgetful Me

My memory has always been bad, but only because of all the important things that I try my best to hold onto in such a finite space. When I’m old and gray I’ll probably forget my own name but I’ll always remember your eyes and my own reflection in them. I know that I’m confusing and almost impossible to read so I accept that I’ll often be misunderstood. I won’t forget that you were the only one that tried to make sense of my madness, or that you were happy to coexist in the midst of my eccentric and “crazy” life.

Even if you give me a written grocery list, I’m sure to forget to pick up one of the important items you made sure to remind me to get…but, I won’t forget to cook your favorite meal, just the way like it after you’ve had a bad day. It might seem as if I don’t listen but know that I always hear you. I might forget to mention how nice your hair looks after you get back from the salon with a new style but I won’t forget your favorite shampoo, or how to massage your scalp whenever you ask me to wash it. I’ll remember how you looked on our first date but I love you so much that I'll never even notice when you gain a little weight. To me, you’ll always look just like you did on that day. I’ll remember to say "sorry" when I’m wrong and I’ll forget to be mad when you are. I’ll be in such a rush to start my day that I’ll forget to make the bed but I won’t forget how to mess it up again when I get back home to you at night. I’ll remember every story from your past that you share with me but I’ll forget to use any of it against you. I might accidentally make you cry from time to time but I will never forget how to make you smile again. I might neglect you sometimes when I get caught up in my notebooks and these stories but, know that thoughts of you are what move my pen. If you look closely at my chapters, you’ll see a reflection of yourself in every single one of them. I won’t be on time all the time but even when I’m late, I’ll never forget how your lips taste, the way you smell, or the way you feel.


I’ll sometimes forget to tell you that you’re gorgeous every day but I’ll never forget to love you hard, no matter what I might forget to say.

Copyright © 2015 Keith Kareem Williams
All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment