Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Writer Wednesday Featuring Aja LaGrand Blount

Welcome to another installment of "Writer Wednesday" here on my blog. Let's get right into the interview and after reading it, I hope that you're moved to show this week's author some love.

Writer Wednesday Featuring
Author Aja LaGrand Blount
Aja LaGrand Blount

1. When did you first realize that you wanted to be a writer?
First let me thank you for this opportunity. I really appreciate this. I realized I wanted to be writer after I asked myself the serious question of what i wanted to do with my life. I had been in prison going on seven years & I knew I had to change my life. My creative juices started flowing once I began replaying scenarios over in my head. I started jotting down different ideas & once I sat down to begin writing, I fell in love.

2. Does writing energize or exhaust you?
Writing energizes me. It gives me way to release stress, play out emotions or give a piece of me that can be touching.

3. Do you think someone could be a writer if they don’t feel emotions strongly?
Anybody can sit down & write but I believe that to be a great writer you have to give pieces of yourself for it to be authentic.

4. If you could tell your younger writing self anything, what would it be?
The first thing I would tell my younger writer is to not to be afraid to learn, don't follow the trends & read different things to boost vocabulary.

5. What was an early experience where you learned that language had power?
I learned language had power when I used to correspond with people & the effect those letters had on them. I would either run them off or pull them closer to engage more.

6. How many hours a day do you write?
I don't get to write how I used to but I normally would go between two hours to six if could. Currently I get around two hours.

7. What’s the most difficult thing about writing characters from the opposite sex?
I don't see any difficulty writing for opposite sex. I was raised by all females & been around a multitude of feminine personalities so I draw off of that.

8. How do you select the names of your characters?
Most names has been similar to those I know or may have known. Others are random based on personalities of characters.

9. Do you read your book reviews? How do you deal with bad or good ones?
Yes I do read my reviews. Haven't dealt with bad ones yet but I'll let it roll off my shoulder if they pop up. I know I can't satisfy everybody.

10. What was your hardest scene to write?
I would say getting attached to a character & having to do something contrary to what you would like to do.

11. How long on average does it take you to write a book?
On average it takes me 30-45 days to write a rough draft.

12. Do you believe in writer’s block?
No I don't believe in writers block. I have understanding of there being an unlimited supply of creative energy. As long as the brain is rested properly, the juices will flow.

13. What is the most difficult part of your artistic process?
 The most difficult part of creative process would be establishing characters & outline.

14. Does your family support your career as a writer?

Yes, I have a very supportive family behind me. Without them, I wouldn't be a published author today.



1 comment:

  1. I had the privilege of reading this book as well as many more by Aja LaGrand Blount. I think he will be a well appreciated author in the very near future. Keep you had up Part a. Peace

    ReplyDelete