Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Don't Speak by Keith Kareem Williams

Don't Speak


By Keith Kareem Williams


Don't speak or comment. I just need you to listen. In fact, I need a little bit more than that. I need you to open your ears so that you can really hear me. I need you to block out the outside noise of the world so that you can really feel me. Now that I have your attention…

Tomorrow does not exist and the future is a myth. I say this because by the time we get to tomorrow, it's actually "today" technically. The past is dead because we can't resurrect it. Right now, in my life, I'm thinking on a different level. I'm trying to have as many good moments as I can. I figure that if I add them up, find a way to somehow multiply them, I should be able to put together a good life. That means I have to subtract the parts I don't like, even if it divides my heart from the logic of my mind. That’s just basic mathematics applied to life.

I don't make promises anymore. As they say, "A promise is a comfort to a fool." I have no intentions of making fools out of anyone. Situations change from day to day. Who's to say if I will feel the same about something tomorrow as I did today, or even yesterday? The weather changes, the seasons change and there's even the constant transition from nights into days.

When you've been down the roads I've traveled, there will come a time when you just yearn for peace, void of illusions or confusion. I've suffered enough worrying about tomorrow and lost sleep over the past. I've learned to be concerned with the truth that exists in the tangibility of today. It's impossible to live anywhere but in the moment.

A palm reader said that I'd live a good life. I can't complain about how it's been thus far so I don't doubt it. I just want to smile and be able to trust the people that I keep close to me. Everything else will work itself out. The rules are always the same with me. Ride for me and I swear to ride for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment