Search This Blog

Friday, October 28, 2011

Love, Lust and Other Strange Behavior

Love, Lust and Other Strange Behavior


By Keith Kareem Williams

After numerous, interesting conversations with one particularly wonderful woman, she suggested that I write a book about some of my more interesting "entanglements" with different women that I've had the pleasure of knowing. I've always been tight-lipped and private so I definitely am NOT the "kiss-and-tell" type but, she suggested an interesting method for me to tell the stories without giving away too much.

I started this week and just thinking about some of my past experiences brought a lot of unanswered questions to the surface. It has made me really think about the various emotions that were mixed up and bound in these entanglements, relationships, situations or whatever they could easily be classified as.

In High School, I had an English teacher who whole-heartedly believed that there were concrete truths in mythology. She was absolutely convinced that the Greek gods truly existed. She explained to us that the gods lived and had powers when humans worshipped them but as soon as we stopped believing, they ceased to exist. I found the theory interesting. Now that I've said all that, let me finally get to the point of this discussion.

To not be noticed by anyone makes a person feel invisible and almost ghost-like. We are social animals and yearn for interaction. This is the reason why some people will do anything, say anything or pretend to be anything for attention when it's missing. Being or feeling invisible too long breeds jealousy, depression, sadness and sometimes hate. I see it in people every day.

To know that others lust for you makes you feel alive and human no matter how humble or arrogant you may be about it. To know that you are desired makes a person feel like they belong, even if the places where they are warmly welcomed aren't ideal. Feeling the lust of others can become dangerously addictive if you're desperate to feel alive.

To be truly loved is the closest feeling to being a god. I heard it said once that, "Mother is the name for God on the lips of all children." That's a very powerful and true statement. It also applies to relationships between adults in a sense. If we're all going to be honest, what feels better than knowing that we are loved for real, in every sense of the word? The problem with love is that too many people become drunk with power when they know that someone else cares that deeply for them. As they say, power corrupts. I think this is a tragedy. In Greek mythology, the gods often tormented mankind. Even though humans worshipped and were in absolute awe of them, they did them harm for the sport of it. Eventually, people stopped believing in them and they faded. Now they only exist in stories and memory. The same holds true when you're loved and take it for granted. I've been foolish enough to do it...more than a few times.

Of course, I could be wrong but I doubt it. I've seen a lot in my short time here. Maybe not everything but definitely just enough.

2 comments:

  1. I fully believe the scenario you describe here about being loved fully by someone raising you to a god-like status. I feel that this has happened to me more than once and it always ends with someone being heart broken that I am not the god they built me up to be. I am capable of unconditional and eternal love, but I cannot live up to the expectations attached to the pedestal I am often placed on. Some think a beautiful, nice, person with empathy and compassion for all of mankind is without flaw. This is never true. We all have our flaws; seen and unseen. Admitted and denied. Being loved is wonderful, it adds color and breath to life, but to be loved not "as is" (the way you are), but as you are "believed to be" ends badly for both people. The one loved cannot be what they are not, thus they are rejected or must eject themselves from the relationship; and the lover cannot find eternal and unconditional fulfillment of their expectations (fantasy) of the god-like person they have envisioned/created in their heart and mind.
    So love is never enough, only a beginning...
    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Ann and that was well said! Hit me up if you ever want to be a guest blogger on the site : )

    ReplyDelete