Search This Blog

Sunday, August 26, 2012

Author/Father/Role Model by Keith Kareem Williams








<---Author/Father/Role Model








by Keith Kareem Williams

I recently received the first shipment of my 4th book, "Glass Goddesses, Concrete Walls." Of course, carefully slicing open those first boxes of a new release is always exciting and a moment to be celebrated. After all these years, I still get the same feeling of pride and accomplishment when I hold the first copies in my hands, finally able to touch the result of long nights of being locked away in my lab, doing my best to create memorable novels.
1st shipment of "Glass Goddesses, Concrete Walls."

As overwhelming as that initial feeling of accomplishment can be, there is something that feels even better. The looks on my children's faces, not just the first time, but EVERY time books are delivered is priceless! Those of you who have been following my career already know that I've been a single dad for many, many years. I've always tried my best to be the best father that I can be. I do what I can to raise my son and my daughter to be strong individuals in a cold world where anything less is often preyed upon. What I've found to be powerful and moving is the light that burns in their eyes once UPS delivers those packages every week. I've seen that same look from them on Christmas morning when they open their presents. 

My son and my daughter

I've worked for other people my entire life, since the age of fourteen. At thirty-four, I finally decided to solely concentrate on building my writing career before I became too comfortable and complacent running other people's businesses. If you don't have your own dream, you better believe that someone else will hire you to help them make THEIRS a reality. I was gainfully employed but, in 2010, if I hadn't made the decision to leave, I was fearful that I would have lost the nerve to make that move as the years flew by.

Just the 3 of us

Our children shouldn't have to look outside of our homes to find role models. As parents, if we want them to be GREAT, then WE have to at least try to be that ourselves. Everyone knows that children often pick up the bad habits and ways of their parents, whether they intend to or not. Why not give them something powerful and constructive to emulate in order to offset the multitude of parenting mistakes we are ALL certain to make? That's what I'm trying my hardest to do.

The right and left sides of my heart

I've eavesdropped on some of their conversations and heard them talk about having their own businesses when they grow up. To me, that's a blessing and I can think that maybe I'm doing something right, especially when my generation was told to grow up and find a good job. (When I look around, even at my own past, THAT didn't work out too well.) I can smile with the knowledge that I'm creating bosses, not workers. In that way, they can control their own fates.

It's a madhouse full of eccentric, crazy, people too! LOL

Below is the new release that we were all excited about. (The kids just get to look at the cover. They won't be old enough to read it for a while) LOL

4th book from Keith Kareem Williams
Here's the link if you'd like to purchase a copy:  https://www.createspace.com/3943733 

***Don't forget to check in on Wednesdays for "Writer Wednesday" where I feature authors besides myself.***









6 comments:

  1. Their are very few men in this world that has the ambition to take over their own lives. They allow society to tell them that they should be with the normacy of the working world. For you to invest in yourself and your family says a lot about your character as a man. Continue to have the heart and passion to do what you believe in. You are in control of your own destiny. To a Powerful Author....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for those words Diane. I really appreciate you taking the time to send that message to me.

      Delete
  2. Speechless..... ❤░❤░❤░❤░

    ReplyDelete
  3. I applaud you for your ambition to not only be a successful writer but to be a successful father and role model. Many children need fathers like you. A father that wants their children to not only recognize their dreams but to pursue them, even if it involves sacrifice. Whoever thinks that working hard is only done for someone else is misguided.

    Congratulations on your 4th published book. I can't wait to read it.

    And.... great looking family! Love and happiness is evident in your faces.

    Ann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for those kind words Ann. Apologies for being away from the blog for so long. I was busy trying to perfect that 4th book. i feel a great weight lifted now that it is FINALLY done. (I can't wait for you to read it!) I'll be posting more regularly now. Thanks for still following and showing love. I appreciate it.

      Delete