Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 21, 2012

The Art of Storytelling…on Pillows Elizabeth Holmes


The Art of Storytelling…on Pillows
Elizabeth Holmes


Elizabeth Holmes is an interior designer and co-founder of Memoranda, an online retailer of retro modern decorative pillows.  Flips and fros, beehives and bamboo earrings never looked so…delicious. 

Memoranda, an online home accessories boutique, was conceived last year in collaboration with my husband, John, an illustrator. As an interior designer, I’m always searching for something bright, bold or sexy to pull a room together. It’s why I’m willing to put graffiti on the wall of a family room.



"With Memoranda I wanted to create home accessories – pillows, bedding, and wallpaper that paid homage to the past, but with a modern twist.

Inspiration…
It began with a list of my favorite things from my childhood, like jelly shoes and doorknocker earrings, and photos of my mom in a partial beehive and catglasses from the late 60s. That led to research on what was going on at that time in [her]story, fashion and pop culture. 








The collection…
The end result was a collection of home accessories designed to celebrate the retro style attributes of iconic women of the 60s, 70s and 80s: Pam Grier, a.k.a. Foxy Brown, Jean Shrimpton, Diana Ross and The Supremes, The Ronnettes. Salt-n-Pepa.

My favorite designs include our “Flip 4 Fro” and Bamboo Dreams” patterns, as well as our “Diva Doorknocker” pillow cover.



How it’s made…
Memoranda’s bright and bold graphics are printed on linen in a variety of colors from chartreuse and ocean blue to hot pink and orange sherbert. We are proud to say that all of our pillows are made by hand here in the USA.

What’s next…
Memoranda pillow covers will be available in three new colors for fall and in two new sizes. And some of our favorite patterns will be available as bedding, wallpaper and shower curtains.

We’re already working on a second collection -- Times Square circa 1979-80.

Connect…
Memoranda
@memorandanyc

Elizabeth Holmes Design
@EHDzine 

2 comments:

  1. Those pillow covers are awesome! Very unique.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Teresa. I think so too. The owner is a college friend of mine and we recently had a lengthy discussion about her business. When I saw her designs...I wanted to share them on my blog.

      Delete