Search This Blog

Sunday, November 1, 2015

Creative Upper Class Writer's Group - Coming Soon

Creative Upper Class
Writer’s Group
(New York)



I’ve often said that “Writing is a solitary activity,” and that authors spend many hours alone penning our thoughts or contemplating what we should write about. Sometimes we have more intimate relationships with our pens, notebooks, journals and keyboards than we do with our spouses and lovers. Our minds are often somewhere far off, far removed from where it’s supposed to be according to the people closest to us. That’s just our nature. We can’t help it. We’re always searching for deeper truths on different levels in the seemingly mundane things that regular people ignore, or take for granted. It can be frustrating trying to be understood by folks who aren’t writers that want our undivided attention. For years, I’ve yearned for that feeling I had when I used to take Fiction workshops in college. It gave me the opportunity to be around other people who were, for the most part, as passionate as I am about the written word. I admit that I’m starting this writer’s group partly for selfish reasons. I want to be in an environment where my peers will keep me sharp, motivated and inspired. However, I also want to nurture novice novelists so that they can see their dreams come to fruition. I wish that I had that kind of support system in place when I was writing chapter after chapter in the wee hours of the morning when most of the world was asleep. That’s why I’m seeking a healthy mix of veterans and aspiring authors to participate in the group.

I want every member to be pushed in order to reach their highest potential. That can only happen if we’re 100% honest with our critiques when we share our works-in-progress. This will not be a place for the thin-skinned who struggle with accepting fair and honest criticism. There should be a standard of excellence that we demand of each other. Also, we should be sharing experiences, information and resources so that we all shine. In the beginning, I’m keeping the group local here in New York but the plan is to expand, online and eventually to other states as well. Once things are running smoothly here, I’ll make sure to spread to roots of this to as many places as I can.


Since I’ve made the announcement about what I’m trying to accomplish, I’ve received inquiries from new authors and some old pros too which is great. You can trust and believe that I am going to build something special. For a long time, it has been a dream of mine to do this and I’m determined to make it happen, sooner rather than later. Over the holiday season I’m going to spend a lot of time planning and getting things organized. Stay tuned.



Much love to everyone that has reached out to me and shown interest in being a part of this.   

No comments:

Post a Comment