Search This Blog

Monday, September 13, 2010

CREATING: Monsters, Mirrors & Smoke

Creating “Monsters, Mirrors & Smoke”

Synopsis:
Either hope, or the fear of loss can drive a man to do great & terrible things. Hector's sinister hopes & Lenox's fear of loss put them on the same path of blood & violence, with different purposes. Welcome to the world of "Monsters, Mirrors & Smoke" where it's not as hard as we think to become beasts.

“….gritty urban fantasy realized through dreams & modern mysticism.”

Lost & Found:
“Monsters, Mirrors & Smoke” was originally titled “Suicide & Steel” when the story invaded my dreams years ago. I had even started to write out the plot to combat boredom in-between and even during class when I was a student at City College. Often, thoughts of it consumed my thoughts as I ignored the speed limit on the FDR drive on my way to 135th Street and Convent. Even while working two jobs and attending college full time, I couldn’t escape the haunting voice of the story as it screamed for me to write it. It had almost become its own entity and seemed to write itself in my mind. But, balancing between work, school, and various entanglements with the opposite sex proved to be overwhelming. One day, the story just went silent and stopped trying to be heard. In fact, it buried itself so deep that I completely forgot it even existed. As some of you know, when I eventually decided to seriously put pen to paper, I unleashed “Water Flows Under Doors” first. For a time, it was good. The feedback was amazing and served to confirm that I was on the right path. Then, for a time, life got in the way and I put my career on hold, mainly to keep others happy and comfortable. (That’s a story I’ll save for another time)

My career remained on hold much longer than I’d like to admit. Eventually, after I’d lived some more and passed through pain, I was inspired to write “Open Spaces,” my 2nd novel. For a time that consumed me. As I got closer to finishing my sophomore release, still there was no sign of the story that had abandoned me so many years ago. But, I guess it’s unfair to say it abandoned me when I left it lingering as well until it vanished. Then one winter morning, out of nowhere, the entire story I’d lost came back to me. I felt as if I’d been underwater and finally broke the surface to gasp for air. Every character, every side-plot, the beginning, middle & end was all there as if it had never left. Even the original title came back to me.

As I got deeper into detail with the story, I realized the title didn’t fit so it evolved into what it is now. I’m excited because it’s so different from the 1st two shots I fired at the literary world. I feel like the boundaries with “Monsters, Mirrors & Smoke” are non-existent. As I write more and become more comfortable, I seek more freedom. The reviews and success of my previous work certainly has made my writing style bolder and more aggressive.

Warning:
Once I release this one, it will be very different from what you’ve read from me before. Prepare yourself. I let the ink fly and explored the crazier, more complex side of my imagination. I’m not even sure what genre it belongs in. All I can promise is a ride that you will never forget. I promise, Monsters, Mirrors & Smoke” is frightening at times, thought-provoking, heart-wrenching, erotic, and wildly entertaining. See you “Live from the Block” with copies in the Fall of 2010.

From the time my stories find their sparks in my mind, they have life. There are just so many that it’s hard for me to sort them. But, for no one and nothing will I abort them. - Reem

1 comment:

  1. Reading the synopsis again got me all hyped up, keith I can't wait to read this one. It's going to banger, I can feel it.

    ReplyDelete