Search This Blog

Friday, September 17, 2010

WELCOME TO THE TRAP

the Trap n   1 : anywhere I decide to jump out, set up & sell my novels



Examples:

The Beauty Salon- No, you are not safe under the dryer or leaned back with your head in the sink for a wash and set.

The Liquor Store – Yeah, that’s right. If you're ready to get your lean on, I don’t care if I’m right in line behind you to get my own bottle, I’m going to sell you a book. I don’t care if you’re staggering outside the spot, already tipsy, I will sell you a book.

The Nail Salon – Yup, while your tips are still drying, I’ll have you blowing on your fingers or,...... better yet, you just gotta open the purse. Trust me, I’ll take the right amount of money but, I am going to sell you a book.

The Laundrymat – While your clothes are in the dryer, I’ll sell you a book. And don’t think I don’t take quarters because I do!

The Check Cashing Spot – You just cashed your check so DON’T EVEN TRY TO FRONT LIKE YOU AIN’T GOT IT!!!!!!!! (Cheap asses)

The Barber Shop – As soon as I drop a new title, my friends that own shops have my back & support me. Book signings and all that in their spots.

The Block – (My favorite) Any block where there’s a heavy flow of people walking, window shopping or just standing around. I get out, set up & get it in. I love the block & the block loves me right back.

***
I love the Trap but it’s a challenge to face it every day. I always feel like I should be deep in my notebooks with a pen or typing furiously on a keyboard. I have to put all of that on hold to get busy and promote myself. That is no easy task. The YES’s feel great but the NO’s, (especially the ones with attitude) don’t. And please believe me, you get way more No’s than YES’s. But still, I get up every day and thug it out. Why? Because you will KNOW who I am. If they don’t take a book, they’re getting a flyer and eventually, they’ll have seen that book cover so many places that they’ll have to get a copy. Yeah, you can write the book but it does not promote or market itself, no matter how sick you are with a pen. This sh*t is a daily war. It takes nerve, courage and uncanny boldness to get people to listen to you when you say that you’re book is good. Even when they don’t buy a copy, they have to remember who you were on the strength of your personality. The “shy guy” stuff ain’t gonna fly out here if I expect to eat so I’m out here like a beast. I’m so serious about promoting these books that I would consider myself a “trap-addict”. I can’t walk out my door to check the mailbox without at least one book in my hand. If you’re passing by my house I’ll try to get you to buy a copy. How else is anyone going to know that WATER FLOWS UNDER DOORS, or take a look at OPEN SPACES or know about the MONSTERS, MIRRORS & SMOKE?



And yes, I LOVE THIS SH*T. I love talking about books to readers as much as convincing non-readers that they should start. I love every one of y’all that stops & I have a special appreciation for every one of you who copped. See you on the block.

No comments:

Post a Comment