Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

NO STRINGS ATTACHED


NO STRINGS ATTACHED

When I say “No strings attached” I’m not talking about being detached and disconnected. I feel it’s necessary to fight against being manipulated in all aspects of my life. I don’t think that’s crazy or, maybe it’s just me.

I’ve been working since I was 14 & have been living on my own since 19. Of course, I got pulled into what I call the 9-5 working man trap. That’s where they tell you to go to school, work hard and you’ll be fine. Bullshit! At times, I worked two jobs AND attended college and I still wasn’t fine as they had promised. Throughout all those years working, I always barely kept my head above water. Finally, I realized that I had jobs. I had ambitions to be an author but I wasn’t in the pursuit of a career. I was caught up with the maintenance of jobs where I actually used my talents to help others build wealth. I felt like a marionette puppet. Then, I studied successful, happy people and realized that they ALL worked for themselves. So, in March of 2010, I cut my 9-5 working man trap strings and went independent. I’ve been career-chasing since then. In just these few months, people big and small in the lit industry know my name. Why? Because I go hard at this for real! I even do this independently because I don’t want to be connected to any publishers unless they’re willing to offer real money. (…and yes, I know what real money is.)

The next part of my “no strings attached” movement ventures into touchy waters so prepare yourself.

Let’s talk about the past. Let me start off by saying, FUCK YOUR PAST!!!!! Real talk, if I hear one more person blame past experiences for making them into the assholes that they are today, I’m a go ballistic. If you’re an asshole, it means that that’s what you ARE. Please, stop making excuses and hiding behind things that don’t matter anymore. This is the present and a second from now, it’ll be the future. I’m not saying to ignore the lessons you learned but how long are you going to stay connected to those things? Trust me, the road to where I’m standing right now ain’t been an easy one. Those of you who know my story know of what I speak but, I don’t let it rule me. I cut those strings off too. I do what I do in the present so that the next seconds, minutes, hours, days, months and years I have left can be that much better. For some of you, by the time you realize that you’re living for the past, you’ve wasted your entire future with only seconds left on the clock that is your life.

Finally, let’s talk about attachments to other people. I don’t mind having strings attached but, only to the right people. Being selfish is sinful but you also can’t allow yourself to be someone else’s puppet. Every now and then, you’ll encounter people who understand what motivates you. If they’re clever, they’ll attach strings and you won’t even notice. Before you know it, they’ll manipulate your actions and even your thoughts if you let them get deep enough. I was never one to follow rules much or get sucked into anyone else’s program. (Ask my ex/children’s mother. She’ll tell you all about me) I’ve seen it all so sometimes, I’ll just watch as they try to tie me up. But, as soon as the lights go up and the curtains pull back on the stage, I use the big scissors I keep with me and cut myself free. Now, here’s my problem. I know where I’m going. I’m just having a hard time distinguishing who wants to go there with me and who wants to pull my strings from backstage. And, it’s even worse since people have noticed that yes, ya boy has talent and true potential to be something great. Now, I find myself wondering who’s a groupie, who’s a succubus and who would really ride. I’ve cut a few strings and I’m pretty sure that before I’m outta here, I’ll have to cut a few more. If you find yourself further and further away, it’s most likely that that’s where you’ll stay. It’s at my own discretion and for my own protection. Ya dig? But, if you’re really on my side, please be patient. I’ll see you, sooner or later. If you really should be here, you will be.


And, before anybody gets offended, ask yourself a question. What do you really want to be in my life? If you fit the description of the people I don't want around me, then by all means, GET OFFENDED. But, if you have good intentions, then relax. We're good. You'll see. I just gotta spot you in the crowd.

No comments:

Post a Comment