Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 14, 2018

WRITER WEDNESDAY - Featuring Loretta R. Walls (Embue)

Happy Valentine's Day guys. Today, in the spirit of showing love, I'm going to feature one of my favorite people on the planet. I have lots of love for her and after reading about her, I hope you guys show her love as well. She is one of the most talented, inspiring and overall awesome people I know. Follow her on social media and DEFINITELY read her books. 

15 QUESTIONS
Loretta R. Walls (EMBUE)


1. When did you realize that you wanted to be an author? When I was thirteen. I knew I wasn’t seeing “me” in the books I had been reading. I wanted to write a book but never thought of myself as an author, especially not back in 1987.

2. How did publishing your first book change your process of writing? Oh, it didn’t change my process at all. I’m an outliner, first and foremost. That is the foundation of anything I plan to write.

3. How many hours a day do you write?  Time varies for me being that I work a full-time job and a family to care for. I sacrifice my lunch hour most days and write a lot in the evenings and weekends. Every so often, I’ll take a day off from work and hit my local Starbucks for that “author feel” away from home.

4. Do you view writing as a kind of spiritual practice? Absolutely! I listen to music, which drives me mentally, emotionally and spiritually, especially when the character has a moment in his or her life. Writing for me is release from the world and its pressures. Sometimes, I get more satisfaction from typing at breakneck speeds, than speaking aloud.

5. What was your hardest scene to write? The ones that cause me to cry, usually something pertaining to death, a loss of some sort or the breaking of a bond. They resonate heavy through the characters and I feel it in my soul.

6. Do you hide any secrets in your books that only a few people will find? Yes. All the time but sometimes, I’ll wait until I meet them in person to answer those questions. Book fairs are the best because I can spend more time with the readers and thoroughly explain whatever it is they wish to know.

7. What is the most difficult part of your artistic process? Ensuring that my characters are full of life, regardless of their role in the story. I’m always studying that factor when I read and write.

8. What is your favorite part of your creative process? Feeling the characters blossom inside my head. When I can see and hear them, it is amazing to me.

9. How long on average does it take you to write a book?  It depends on the story for me. If it is a part of a series (Tiffany Rivera series) I take up to six months (I used to take a year to write one novel); however, most of my short stories/standalones average about 50-60K words and take about three to four months on average.

10. Does your family support your career as a writer? Yes! My sister buys and reads my books, my husband and daughter travel with me to events as well. Other family members read my books and spread the word where they live too. I am very appreciative of their support.

11. What are common traps for aspiring writers? Following behind what other authors do! Stop that. Find your niche, your style and let the readers get to know you for you. Once you find your writing style, no one can take that away from your legacy.

12. What’s the best way to market your books? Word of mouth. Put the book in a person’s hand, let them embrace your work and see what happens. Social media is good too, but when I’m out and about in the streets, a business card is my best friend after a simple conversation. Always have those on hand; they are your global passport to reach readers.

13. What does literary success look like to you?  Awards, accolades, being recognized in the literary community by book clubs, book reviews, feedback and looking at my catalog of published works remind me that I’m successful daily.

14. What is your favorite childhood book?  I loved Dr. Seuss, Sweet Valley High series, Little House on the Prairie series, and the Nancy Drew stories.

15. What do you want readers to know about you and your writing?  I am just a woman that has a very active imagination and forms novels to escape reality. My novels reflect all the things I want to explore in some fashion, therefore, the characters I create are my blueprint to be free. To learn more about me, please visit: www.nucherte.net where all my social media is listed. Thanks so much. 


No comments:

Post a Comment