Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Muse

‎Muse


"The Muses: in Greek mythology, poetry, and literature are the goddesses who inspire the creation of literature and the arts. They were considered the source of the knowledge, related orally for centuries in the ancient culture, that was contained in poetic lyrics and myths. The compliment to a real woman who inspires creative endeavor is a later idea." - taken from Wikipedia

I used to think that the notion of someone being a “Muse” from a realistic standpoint was a myth. It always sounded to me like the ramblings of hopeless romantics when I heard them speak of being inspired in such a way, by such a person. Personally, I’ve always found ways to motivate myself when it came to my own creativity. (Keyword: Motivate) I say this because I’ve come to discover that motivation is very different from inspiration.

Every day my own ambition motivates me to be “better” at my craft. I believe that talent can only be honed, sharpened and mastered through hard work combined with discipline. I mistook that determination and drive for inspiration. I guess if you’ve never experienced something, there’s no way for you to understand it or even believe that it exists. I know better now. Motivation is what makes me get up every day and write. Inspiration is what takes the creativity in my writing to higher heights.

A muse is different from someone who gives encouragement. What a muse gives you is effortless and natural. Just the sight of them will make you write ten chapters, finish that painting or compose that song. Their presence is a blessing. The sound of their voice, the way they see the world, and the way they look at you makes you want to be better tomorrow than you were yesterday. I guess you could call it magic.


Glad I have mine.



2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you have yours too! The world needs you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kenya. I'll see how long it lasts though. As long as I'm inspired, I might as well write, right? LOL

    ReplyDelete