Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

THE BOOK COMMANDMENTS

Commandment #1: You ARE your work and your work is you! Treat it as such!


ALWAYS have your work with you. It doesn’t matter if you’re going to the barber shop, beauty salon or the corner store to buy a bag of chips. Always be ready to promote yourself. You should have two books in that bag of dirty clothes on your way to the laundry. At a red light, you’ll think I was asking for directions when I ask you to you’re your window down but, I really want you to check out my book. I’ve gotten pulled over by the cops and tried to sell books to the officers. It shouldn’t be a hobby or a part-time job if you’re passionate. When someone asks you what you do, you’re answer should always be, “I’m an author.” It doesn’t matter if you work a 9-5, start-up with that refund from your income tax or sling crack until you stack racks to put that book out. (DISCLAIMER: I’m kidding. I ain’t promoting selling drugs. LOL) Your books are not your hobby. Whatever else you do, no matter how much of your time it takes up, should feel like your side hustle. I remember walking out the conference room of my old job mumbling, “Man, I don’t need this headache…I write books AND I’m nice with mine.” Your books and your work are your priority iF you’re really fueled by that desire to make it happen. Wear your talent on your chest like a tattoo. There’s NO room for shyness or shame when trying to make a name for yourself in the game. Approach EVERYBODY with your books. Let them know who you are & what you’re about. EVERYONE is potentially someone who will support your movement. I know I’ve received the most love from people I didn’t even expect to hear me out. The overwhelming NO’s you’ll get can’t have you stressing because believe me when I tell you, those YES’s mixed in are a blessing. After doing it for a while, it’ll start to feel as natural as walking down the street. That’s when you’re on auto-pilot. When you go back to certain areas and they say, “Oh..that’s the writer,” then………you know what it is. Good luck.


NOW GO GRIND!

2 comments:

  1. That's what I'm talking about!!! Thanks for the post. "There’s NO room for shyness or shame when trying to make a name for yourself in the game" << that was me at one point but no more! I'm not an author but I am dope lol. Okay, I'm not being cocky but I take pride in my artwork and want to share my passion with the world. Great post Reem!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You ARE dope!!! You have every right to have confidence in your talent. I am definitely a fan of your art.

      Delete