Search This Blog

Monday, April 4, 2011

WORDS LEFT UNSAID

I used to feel “it” but did everything in my power to conceal it. If I loved you, I would never tell you even though, in my own way, I’d be sure to show you. Or, at least that’s what I thought I did. My soul would literally tear in half if I lost you but my pride was stronger so I’d risk it. The fear of not being able to recover from that kind of hurt controlled me. Only after things fell apart would I say everything I should have said to hold things together.


That was one of the many mistakes I made as a younger man. I didn’t understand that people are not mind readers. Sometimes, actions really can’t speak louder than words. In my mind, I still believe that you should pay attention to what I do and not necessarily what I say. To me, words are wind and are often spoken with idle tongues. I also understand that not everyone shares that belief with me.

The only way to give things a fair chance to work is to combine words with actions. If, in any situation, you realize that these two are in conflict, something is definitely wrong. To simply say “I love you” is not enough in this life where the term is tossed around loosely. Both have to be mirror reflections of each other for me to believe it….feel it. I’m sure it’s the same for everyone else.

So, if things should fall apart between us, it’s not because I left anything unsaid. I tell the truth about how I feel, regardless of how a person may take it. If you don’t like what I say, or how I felt about something, you have your options. I think that’s more than fair. I’m not one for deception or games. In fact, I’m as real as being real gets. This is how I can live life now without regrets. I leave it all on the table whenever I’m able and it will never be a mystery where you stand with me. Even if the nature of the situation changes, you’ll know as soon as I do. Since I’ve let go of that nagging fear of the future…only honesty lives in me.

Once upon a time in my life....I had to live with regrets because of things I left unsaid. Believe me when I say I understand the worst kind of loss. My heart is still broken due to some of the things that have slipped away from me. I could have saved a lot of it if I had only said what I felt at the time. I admit that much of the fault is mine. Believe me, when I look back, it is heavier than I would have ever imagined. The repercussions of my foolish, childish, silence echo in my life now and probably will forever. With that lesson learned, I’ve put it all out there honestly since then because at the end of the day... .....it's just easier to live without that weight.

*** I won’t drown in regrets because of words I left unsaid ever again. ***


No comments:

Post a Comment